Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#3: Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley (1956)

This is exactly why I started this blog. It's embarrassing. How have I never listened to an Elvis Presley album? This is his debut album and it stayed at number 1 on the charts for ten weeks. It's also the first rock and roll album to sell a million albums.

I Got A Woman
A very pleasant shock to hear a Ray Charles cover on the album. While I still prefer the original this has a wonderful gritty feel to it that really showcases the 'Elvis Sound'. I probably shouldn't be surprised to hear Ray considering Elvis didn't write any of his own music...

One-Sided Love Affair
You can really hear the 'Elvis Sound' on this one - vocally the accents are just all over the place. The jumpy vocal style perfectly fits in with the bounce of the bass and drums. I had to look up the lyrics to reference it, but the part where he says, "Well, fair exchange bears no robbery, and the whole world will know that it's true," was unintelligible the first time through. That being said - it was awesome.

Blue Moon
The man oozes soul - that's why he's timeless. He's got the dynamics, he's got the falsetto, he's got the look, he's got everything. This is the most beautiful track on the album and also the best. Recordings like this is why he's an icon.

All in all, it's super solid. If you don't do a little dance during 'Blue Suede Shoes' I'll question if you're human. If you're a fan of Elvis or 1950's rock and roll then this will probably be up there with the absolute bests. While at times you can hear the dated technology and recording techniques the album oozes character. I'm glad I listened to it, at times it was easy to hear who all was influenced both by these recordings and into them. While I may not be listening to it again anytime soon, I'll definitely hear it again at some point.


This album was chosen from the book '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' 2/1001

Tomorrow's album: Ben Folds Five's Self Titled Album (1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment