Monday, October 1, 2012

#72: Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight (2007)


Actress turned musician Jenny Lewis leads the band Rilo Kiley. The name Rilo Kiley comes from one of it's band member's dreams. Sennett had a dream that he was being chased by a sports almanac and, "when it got me, I leafed through it and I came upon an Australian rules football player from the 19th century named Rilo Kiley."


The Moneymaker
Great track, I wish the entire album was more like this. It's got a cool groove to the bass while Rilo lays down a sultry vocal leading up to a rock chorus. It's got a little bit of blues, rock, pop, and indie in it. The track breathes - it has plenty of sonic space in it and that's precisely why it works, it finds the groove and doesn't let go.


Breaking Up
An 80's vibe mixed with Motown mixed with pop mixed with a dash of funk. It's truly a mish-mash and it's by far the best track on the album. Lyrically it's sharp and eloquently put throughout the verses. It's the biggest feel good track on the album and an absolute must listen. "Are we breaking up? Is there trouble between you and I?" I'll absolutely cover this song at some point in my life.

Dejalo
Tracks like this make me think of Rilo Kiley's potential. It's such a solid song based on a bit of disco, rock, and pop. She mixes genres quite a lot in her music and when she does - those are the tracks that tend to stand out the most. Other songs worth noting include: 'Smoke Detector' and '15'.

All in all, it's a good album. I've always enjoyed it, half of the album is very solid while the other half is good. I do understand how their popularity continues to grow, even after this album being their fourth and final studio album. If you're into indie and/or pop this album is absolutely worth a listen.


Tomorrow's album: Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift For You.

No comments:

Post a Comment