Friday, October 5, 2012

#76: 'N Sync - Celebrity (2001)

I remember back when I was a freshman in high school, a friend of mine tried to convince me that I didn't like N*Sync because of the culture that surrounded them and that the music was actually really good. Now that many, many years have passed I can look back on JT, JC Chasez, Chris Kirkpartrick, Joey Fatone, and Lance Bass for what they really were.

Pop
Usually songs that give away the game turn me off. I know I'm listening to a song, I don't necessarily need a reminder. "It's just about respect," but then again - it's really not - because if it was then the lyrics would be better. Good fluff pop will fluff but it usually won't tell you that they're fluffing as they fluff. Then again, musically, it's fun, light, and catchy - it's a well produced song.

Girlfriend
If they put a decent guitar sound behind them, I'd like this twice as much. Also, I really, really disliked the bridge. However, this is a decent song and while I may disagree with some of the instrumentation the melody is alright and the harmonies are solid.

Gone
This track marks the first organic instrument to make it onto the record: guitar. While it's only a five note phrase, I'll take it. Best song on the album, it's got a great melody, decent music, and passable lyrics (though a huge upgrade over the rest of the album). The chorus is completely money, best moments on the record.

All in all, there's not much going on musically and even less going on lyrically. This creates an environment where you are forced to listen to the vocals. Clearly 'N Sync's greatest strength was their marketability. Don't get me wrong, these guys can sing but when your voice has to compete against this quality of music - anyone can sing. The songs that had a little Michael Jackson in them were way better than the ones that didn't. Thankfully, 'N Sync produced Justin Timberlake and while he may have forgotten to bring it for this album's creation he later found it and brought Sexy Back.


Tomorrow's album: Charles Mingus' The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment