Monday, October 22, 2012

#93: Buck Owens and His Buckaroos - I've Got A Tiger By The Tail (1965)


Buck Owens and His Buckaroos pioneered the Bakersfield sound which Owens preferred to call American music. He's a member of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Tiger By The Tail
I like the harmonies a lot they're very distinct. The lyrics are incredibly predictable and it's being projected from a minute away. It's a little rock and roll but it's mostly a country track. The vocals definitely carry the track as there really isn't much to listen to otherwise.

Let the Sad Times Roll On
Maybe this is why I don't listen to country music. I would much prefer Ray Charles' 'Let the Good Times Roll'. This is your prototypical country song, steel guitar, country slang, and it has every component you've heard a billion times before.

A Maiden's Prayer
It's pretty much just like everything else on the record, it's written in 2/4 and the bass just hits quarter notes. However, this song features a lot more strings and has no vocal tracks. If you take away Buck Owens' voice from any of these tracks you're simply left with a whole lot of nothing. This track proudly parades that fact.

All in all, I was pretty bored while listening to this. There's a few tracks that hold my attention, but I don't know if they caught my ear because they were in such contrast to the songs I strongly disliked or if they actually can stand up on their own. Even if you like old country, I'm sure you can find a better album than this.




Tomorrow's album: Ingrid Michaelson's Girls and Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment