Saturday, August 11, 2012

#21: Sabu - Palo Congo (1957)

Once again, I'm ditching the familiar format for a more candid review of the album. You know when you're watching the National Geographic channel and you hear this tribal, African music... and it's so good you wonder why you never hear it otherwise? There's good reason for that.

The album interesting, in extremely small doses (30-40 seconds), but for the most part this album simply isn't listenable. Go ahead, call me out on it, you'll probably go through the same phases I went through. You start listening to the first track and while the song is slightly repetitive, the guitar helps keep the music moving along. "OK, maybe this record won't be all that bad," you'll think to yourself. Then, after a few more tracks you're dying to hear a guitar or some other instrument than just drums and vocals.


There's a place for just drums and vocals, even current musicians such as Regina Spektor have written songs that are incredibly enjoyable with just a minimalist approach. However, this album never reaches any of those moments. This is one of the albums I listened to while driving to work, and I'll be honest - I was speeding. I couldn't get out of that car fast enough. It's not that it's bad... It's just not enjoyable, it's incredibly repetitive, you can't hang onto any idea that's played, and it's incredibly, incredibly repetitive.

I wish I liked it more, I'm sure there's people out there who love it - I'm just not one of them. If you'd like to listen to a track, click here. I didn't think any album could beat the Louvin' Brothers' score, but I think I'd rather listen to them.


This album was chosen from the book '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' 11/1001

Tomorrow's Album: Matchbox Twenty's More Than You Think You Are.

No comments:

Post a Comment