Wednesday, August 22, 2012

#32: Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)

Even though I haven't heard this album in a long time it feels very familiar. Maybe it's because of the over abundance of musicians being influenced by Coldplay's sound, paired with Coldplay never leaving the radio. However, the album holds up. It's even interesting to see how much influence this album has had over the last ten years.

God Put A Smile On Your Face
I'm usually one to shy away from any religious references in music, however, there are songs out there that pull me in. I really enjoy the acoustic guitar on this track, and that's only amplified once the bass and drums kick in to give it a completely different feel without changing the original part. I spotlight this song not because it's one of the three "best" songs on the album, but because if this is a track that is forgotten about - then the rest of it must be pretty amazing.

The Scientist
This is without a doubt, Coldplay's best song as well as their best video. It's extremely powerful in every sense of the word and I've always had a soft spot for it. In fact, I covered it back in March of 2011. The strings are tasteful, the acoustic guitar adds a little more rhythm, and when the drums kick in - it's full. So full that by the time you get to the end, you feel like you're exploding.

Clocks
This is the song that introduced me to Coldplay, and while I may not keep up with their albums - their singles never fail to impress. If you've never listened to Coldplay before today, this is the song you should start with - it's the embodiment of their sound. There's a lot of ambiance, environment, soft harmonies, repetitive rhythms (so much so that you forget they're even there), very little accents on any instruments, and chords that blend together so much you wonder if there was even any change.

All in all, it's a very good album. Since Coldplay has become such a staple on American radio and culture, it's hard to revisit this since they've grown so much as a band. I really thought I'd enjoy this album more, especially considering the opening track 'Politik' begins with a bang. Maybe I just listened to it too much when it first came out, but it didn't really move me as much as it did in the past.


Tomorrows album: Ramblin' Jack Elliott's Takes the Floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment