Friday, August 31, 2012

#41: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959)

I'm, once again, ditching the familiar format to write this review because it only has six tracks while two of them are the same.

It's better than the last Miles Davis album I reviewed (Birth of the Cool). The rhythm section is much more enjoyable to listen to and it seemed there were more solos by musicians not named Miles Davis. I realize that he's got his name on the album, but sometimes I need a little more variation. Track length proves to be a double edged sword, if you enjoy a song ('Blue and Green' and 'So What') then it will be on for the next ten minutes - if you dislike a song then buckle up for ten minutes of not enjoying something. Then again, not many songs can be enjoyable for ten minutes. Songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, etc. get a free pass on this judgement due to the music changing drastically throughout the song.

It's great background music but I think my age may be an issue. Music, entertainment, movies, and everything today constantly snaps its fingers in front of our faces, trying to keep our attention. This album does not do that (nor should it) - there's a place for what Miles has done. If you want to listen to one of the all-time greats then Miles is your man. If I had given Davis more of a chance when I was studying jazz, I think I'd enjoy him a lot more and I think it could have been good for me.

I listen to each of these albums with my undivided attention regardless if I want to or not. I wanted to enjoy this album more and I wanted to turn it off early. Especially since the last two tracks are the same exact song. Even though I didn't enjoy it I can still appreciate just how good Miles Davis was and how good this album is.


Tomorrow's album: Ingrid Michaelson's Human Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment