Tuesday, September 4, 2012

#45: The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1959)


The only thing I knew about Mr. Brubeck before this album was that he wrote 'Take 5', which is written in 5/4 time, and is completely awesome. I was surprised to hear other songs written in odd time signatures.


Blue Rondo A La Turk
I really dig the super quick piano lick that serves as the head. The solos are tasteful and they mix is up enough to keep it interesting. Plus, the solo section is nothing like the head, thus creating a much more receptive environment due to the drastic change. I really liked the recording and the tone of the bass. You can listen to each facet of each hit or just enjoy the walk.



Take 5
Awesome piano part. The bass follows beautifully but the melody by the horns may just take the cake. There are plenty of songs out there with odd time signatures (for instance Pink Floyd's Money), but none of them are nearly as cool. Also it includes my favorite drum solo (save Radar Love). It's got such a perfect snare sound - I want that. This is one of my all time favorite jazz recordings and it's impossible to think of much better. Beyond a shadow of a doubt it's the best track on the album.

Kathy's Waltz
Excellent recording quality; the piano is vibrant, the bass is rich, but it does not lack on the higher frequencies. The brushes on the drums are brilliant but not overpowering. The song itself is enjoyable, the solos are short and sweet, and the chords are thick and juicy.

All in all, it's incredibly solid. I've enjoyed and appreciated most of the jazz albums I've reviewed thus far, but this has had the best moments. It's considered a timeless record and I understand why. This is a band. Dave Brubeck may have his name on the marquee, but the other members carry their weight. A must listen for any jazz fan.


Tomorrow's album: Darwin Deez's self titled album.

No comments:

Post a Comment