Saturday, September 29, 2012

#70: Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats (2012)



My co-workers are convinced that she's crazy. She's got an odd sound to her and an even weirder voice at times. However, I think she's brilliant. Granted, her albums get further disconnected than I'd ever think to go, but it works because it's true to her. Her music is not only entertaining, it keeps you locked in and focused throughout.

Small Town Moon
Songs like this are why I fell in love with Regina. Her distinct vocals and cooky style carry an otherwise solid pop song. I admire everything about Spektor, especially her lack of fear. She is exactly who she is, her music reflects that and she's unapologetic. She's the full package - she's truly one of a kind.



How
This album and specifically this song is a little more standard pop that her previous works. Regina still brings her signature style to it, but it's a lot more radio friendly. Instead of 25% pop and 75% Spektor - it flips on it's head, and that's not to say I dislike it, it's just not what I expected. This track is very well written and performed; in many ways is a throwback to the era of big ballads.

All The Rowboats
This is the good stuff, by far the best track on the album. It has so many different sounds smashed together with such a bright feeling. The song features big drums, ominous bass, light vocals, ethereal piano, and deep lyrics. Regina continually puts out music that's like nothing else I've ever heard. Also, massive bonus points for singing along with the drums.

All in all this album has several really good songs and also some exceptional tracks. I truly enjoyed it, and while at times Regina is featuring a more 'commercially acceptable' pop path it's still a Spektor album. I'm sure I'll listen to this album again soon, her albums tend to be creepers (the more you listen the more you love it).



Tomorrow's album: Bob Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment