Wednesday, September 12, 2012

#53: The Everly Brothers - A Date With... (1960)


The Everly Brothers specialize in early rock and roll with country influences. The one thing I really enjoyed when reviewing the Louvin' Brothers' album was their close harmonies, this set of brothers utilizes this technique as well. Their harmonies influenced the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and Simon and Garfunkel - not bad.

It's a standard blues feel, with a simple (even a beginning like) part, paired with sprinkles on the piano, and of course big harmonies. However, it still has some rock and roll influences. It breaks up the album really well and it's really well done.

I've always really enjoyed this song, but I never knew it was this old or even older than 1960. Little details like the muted guitar really adds a lot, really adds a lot. As with every track on the album, the harmonies are spot on. It's a perfect blend of voices, neither is overpowering, both are melodic, and while one is always the focal point - you can easily listen to each voice.

I heard the guitar and the bass play a simple line and I thought, 'Ok this could be good.' However, when the vocals came in I was hooked. This is a song with true blues and rock and roll roots. I love the harmonies and the wail on 'Lucille' is just stellar. Easily the best track on the album. Before I die will record this song, and it just be sooner than later.

All in all, it's a solid record. I'll be listening to it again sometime soon. It seems a lot of early rock and roll artists will find a sound and stick to it, and I don't know if it's because the albums are short, their concerts are even shorter, or if there just wasn't an expectation for it. This album, however, provides all kinds of different songs to keep it fresh. Out of the early rock and roll records I've heard so far, this is by far my favorite. This is not a 52 year old history lesson, this is pure entertainment.


Tomorrow's album: Florence and the Machine's Lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment