Saturday, September 15, 2012

#56: Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More (2009)

I don't think it's possible to listen to Florence and the Machine and Mumford and Sons back to back. It's like eating and swimming, there really needs to be a thirty minute waiting period. This album is full of angry bluegrass. I don't know what else to call it - incredible isn't specific enough. This album exploded a few years after it's release, proving that no matter how well something is hidden - if it's good, it'll find the masses.

The Cave
Such a beautiful picking part and what amazing lyrics. I still have no idea what's actually being said because I just can't get past the melody and the atmosphere. "And I won't let you choke on the noose around your neck." This album (but this song in particular) changes so radically throughout that it's hard not to continuously get sucked in.

White Blank Page
It's a struggle not to spotlight every song that comes up. However, this track is absolutely one of the best on the album. The harmonies throughout create such tension coupled with rage and beauty. It creates the most amazing moments on each and every track. For instance when he sings, "I'm clean," I always am overwhelmed. The wordless vocal part at the end is the absolute perfect way to end this track.

Little Lion Man
I'm always hesitant to spotlight the singles of the album because they're the obvious picks. Sometimes those songs are just so big, so full, and they make themselves impossible to ignore. The chorus creates the best moments on this album (save from 'Dust Bowl Dance's "Go out back and get my gun") and the verse isn't far behind. It's the undisputed best track on the record. Musically it's unlike anything else I've ever heard and lyrically it's nothing short of stellar.

All in all, it continues to blow my mind grapes every time I listen to it. I've caught myself saying "There's not a bad track on the album" Which is incorrect. There's not one good track on the album - everything is great or better. This record delivers on each and every track. The song writing is phenomenal.


Tomorrow's album: Muddy Waters' at Newport.

No comments:

Post a Comment